Skip to main content

Group Facilitation Reflection #1

Based off Worksheet 3-1, I would say our building empathy group did well on the introduction portion of the group.  The main place I could see improvement would be that we could have outlined the time frame of the group a little better to the group, but I think overall we did well with our warm-up and introductions.  As for the activity portion, I believe we did well.  We had appropriate timing and directions were clearly given on how to complete the activity.  Sharing went even better than I anticipated because everyone was willing to read their scenarios and opinions.  We also had great processing time as well because group members were willing to share their thoughts on other individual scenarios as well as provide feedback about their own perspectives.  Generalizing and group motivation were also evident as everyone was willing to encourage one another and apply their thoughts to their own experiences.  I think everyone had sufficient time to share and everyone really seemed to grasp application examples in their own life.  I think the summary could have been a bit stronger in that the most important points to emphasize was not brought up.  Overall, I think our group session went really well because everyone seemed to be engaged and there were a lot of intimate information discussed within the group.

As for myself, I felt somewhat underprepared during some of the group.  We did not decide until the day of how we were going to split up the group leader roles, and I did not know how to lead the latter portion of the session.  I think I could have done a better job hitting on the main points of the group, but I also feel that I was able to model empathy throughout the group session.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Main Takeaway from OT 425

In a sense, I have always known that I had a knack for therapy, but it wasn't until I learned about the intricate details of OT that I realized I'm going to be a part of the perfect profession for myself!  Growing up, I have always been one of those people who has a higher standard for myself than for others (perfectionism runs deep), and something about OT that I respect is the fact that it requires its practitioners to continuously strive to better themselves through continuing eduction, evidence-based practice, and even learning from ethical dilemmas.  OT always strives to provide the best services possible, and I believe that is crucial in a field where health care personnel are called to serve others and enable them to live healthy lives.  While there are a lot of expectations placed on practitioners, I also feel there is an overwhelming amount of community and grace within the profession.  OT practice is a team focus with accountability and wisdom readily avail...

Chucky Mullins

Chucky Mullins was a college football player who suffered a spinal cord injury in the cervical injury resulting in his loss of functioning in all four limbs.  Mullins went from a life of complete independence and success as a college athlete to complete dependence and reliance on caregivers.  After his injury he struggled with speaking and swallowing due to a medical trachea.  He hoped to still be able to attend college and get a degree. Occupational therapy services in this situation should be focused on adaptation in order to facilitate activity in meaningful occupations.  While his arms were unable to move, he still had neck and head control that could be used with adaptive equipment in operating a computer.  His intervention services should be focused on capitalizing on the movement he does have through the use of creative and innovative strategies.  Mullins may not be able to regain the ability to walk, but he definitely can return to the pursuit of a...