Skip to main content

How does the OTPF guide OT practice?

OTPF Guiding OT Practice
When thinking about occupational therapy as a whole, its ideals and values center around helping clients regain their functioning in the world.  Because each individual's idea of functioning looks different, it is vital that an OT first look at the motivations behind a client's life choices and interests.  This is where the OTPF plays a vital role.  Its defining features include focusing on the client's occupations, lifestyles, environment, beliefs, etc.  Basically, the OTPF states that an OT cannot proceed with a treatment until the OT understands the client as a person.  This is integral in the OT profession because it guides the therapist to initiate interventions valued by the client that will not only increase the client's ability to participate in his own lifestyle but also allows him to participate in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Main Takeaway from OT 425

In a sense, I have always known that I had a knack for therapy, but it wasn't until I learned about the intricate details of OT that I realized I'm going to be a part of the perfect profession for myself!  Growing up, I have always been one of those people who has a higher standard for myself than for others (perfectionism runs deep), and something about OT that I respect is the fact that it requires its practitioners to continuously strive to better themselves through continuing eduction, evidence-based practice, and even learning from ethical dilemmas.  OT always strives to provide the best services possible, and I believe that is crucial in a field where health care personnel are called to serve others and enable them to live healthy lives.  While there are a lot of expectations placed on practitioners, I also feel there is an overwhelming amount of community and grace within the profession.  OT practice is a team focus with accountability and wisdom readily avail...

Chucky Mullins

Chucky Mullins was a college football player who suffered a spinal cord injury in the cervical injury resulting in his loss of functioning in all four limbs.  Mullins went from a life of complete independence and success as a college athlete to complete dependence and reliance on caregivers.  After his injury he struggled with speaking and swallowing due to a medical trachea.  He hoped to still be able to attend college and get a degree. Occupational therapy services in this situation should be focused on adaptation in order to facilitate activity in meaningful occupations.  While his arms were unable to move, he still had neck and head control that could be used with adaptive equipment in operating a computer.  His intervention services should be focused on capitalizing on the movement he does have through the use of creative and innovative strategies.  Mullins may not be able to regain the ability to walk, but he definitely can return to the pursuit of a...