Skip to main content

The Vitality of Awareness

Recently, I have been astounded at how much awareness of a disease has to do with the amount of research aimed at treating the disease.  I mentioned before how the awareness about Parkinson's Disease came through the work of famous faces like Muhammad Ali and Michael J. Fox.  If it weren't for individuals like them, Parkinson's treatment may not be as developed as it is today.  This idea is true for other diseases as well.  One such illness that I believe will receive a lot of attention now is Tetralogy of Fallot, a disease that Jimmy Kimmel's newborn son, William John, was diagnosed with just hours after his birth.  The fact that Kimmel opened up about a personal family situation in such an emotional way really resonated with me and, judging by its popularity on social media, many others.  Not only were well-wishes sent to the family, but donations towards the operation flooded in as well.  Here was a man, add to that a comedian, crying on live TV!  It was such an incredible thing to witness the love of Kimmel for his son and the concern he has for the future.  I can only speculate now that this will serve to increase concern toward newborn diseases and research in finding preventative methods so that future infants won't suffer from such complications.  This is just one more example of the vitality of awareness in leading to improving treatment strategies.






Kimmel, J. [Jimmy Kimmel Live]. (2017, May 1). Jimmy Kimmel reveals details of his son's birth & heart disease. [Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmWWoMcGmo0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Main Takeaway from OT 425

In a sense, I have always known that I had a knack for therapy, but it wasn't until I learned about the intricate details of OT that I realized I'm going to be a part of the perfect profession for myself!  Growing up, I have always been one of those people who has a higher standard for myself than for others (perfectionism runs deep), and something about OT that I respect is the fact that it requires its practitioners to continuously strive to better themselves through continuing eduction, evidence-based practice, and even learning from ethical dilemmas.  OT always strives to provide the best services possible, and I believe that is crucial in a field where health care personnel are called to serve others and enable them to live healthy lives.  While there are a lot of expectations placed on practitioners, I also feel there is an overwhelming amount of community and grace within the profession.  OT practice is a team focus with accountability and wisdom readily avail...

Chucky Mullins

Chucky Mullins was a college football player who suffered a spinal cord injury in the cervical injury resulting in his loss of functioning in all four limbs.  Mullins went from a life of complete independence and success as a college athlete to complete dependence and reliance on caregivers.  After his injury he struggled with speaking and swallowing due to a medical trachea.  He hoped to still be able to attend college and get a degree. Occupational therapy services in this situation should be focused on adaptation in order to facilitate activity in meaningful occupations.  While his arms were unable to move, he still had neck and head control that could be used with adaptive equipment in operating a computer.  His intervention services should be focused on capitalizing on the movement he does have through the use of creative and innovative strategies.  Mullins may not be able to regain the ability to walk, but he definitely can return to the pursuit of a...