Skip to main content

What motivated me to become an OT

Everyone has their own story.  Each person has a history that depends significantly on family, friends and who that person is on an individual basis.  Even though my classmates all share the same goal, we all have various reasons why we want to become occupational therapists.  For me, first and foremost, my parents and siblings motivated me to continue working hard in school.  Each of my siblings has worked hard throughout school and given their best effort no matter the situation.  My mom homeschooled all five of us and, I think we all agree, that was motivation enough to get out of the house!  From my mom, I saw that I did have a certain enjoyment in teaching.  That was actually my first "dream" job.  I liked the idea of facilitating the success of others which is something very important in education.  However, I found myself just a few short years later wanting to become a dentist (I know, kinda random!)  Growing up, I was always the weird kid who loved to go to the dentist.  I liked getting my teeth cleaned, and, if I behaved, receiving a doggy-shaped-balloon.  Money was tight in my family, and so dental appointments were not a regular occurrence.  From this experience, I discovered another passion of mine that wanted to help people by providing affordable healthcare.  So dentistry became my new goal.  It wasn't until my high school basketball experiences that I discovered a profession that combined all my passions.  I had multiple teammates injure their ACLs and have to go to therapy.  While they complained of their annoyingly awful therapeutic sessions, they always mentioned how they felt not only a physical but emotional stability from their therapist.  Injuries are difficult to deal with no matter the extent, and to hear that a therapist could have such an effect in the recovery process was interesting to me.  I thankfully never had to deal with an ACL tear, but I did experience sprained ankles more than once.  Just rolling over in bed was horrible some nights.  I remember one ankle sprain vividly because I had to get up the next morning and work an eight hour shift at Chick-fil-A.  Let's just say it was not fun!  While I felt physically crippled, I also discovered an emotional aspect to my injury that often goes unnoticed to others.  It was then that I realized what my teammates meant by having a therapist provide emotional support.  The more I learned about therapy, the more I loved it!  In some ways, OT is a combination of all my dream jobs.  There definitely exists a teaching aspect in OT whether it means that you are literally teaching someone how to do something or perhaps you are teaching a new and adaptive way to complete an activity.  You also grow with your client in the emotional battles faced during recovery.  Together, you are a team fighting for a meaningful life and the ability to attain it.  As far as the dental thing and affordable healthcare goes, I don't really know how that will look for me.  What I do know is that I desire to help others because each individual ought to have the ability to live a life meaningful to that person, and you cannot put a price tag on that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is shaking it off really wise?

Something I have been accustomed to growing up are the phrases "shake it off" or "suck it up" after falling down or sustaining an injury.  Having grown up in a family where there were many children to support on a tight budget, I understood the fact that a hospital visit was the last resort.  Undoubtedly this has facilitated my understanding that you shrug it off and move on.  To a certain extent, I agree with this ideal.  However, after learning the extreme results of certain injuries and their lifelong effects, I may have my future child's doctor on speed dial!  Something that continued to bother me during the story of nurse, Dawn Pereda, was the fact that her own facility where she worked sent her home after she sustained a severe head injury.  It wasn't until hours after alarming symptoms began to appear that she was screened for an injury.  By this point, it was too late.  Now life relies on a schedule that must be maintained or she will not be able to

Ted Talks by Aimee Mullins

The older I have grown the more I have seen the crippling effects of societal mindsets.  Simply looking at the various changes in roles of women, men, children, and races has revealed the side effects of societal norms.  From working on plantations without rights to their own bodies to finally becoming integrated and viewed as equal, African Americans have suffered the stigma associated with their race.  Alongside this is the issue of women's rights and their desires to become involved in the workforce.  Over time and gradual mindset changes equality and rights have been achieved, but I believe the real issue behind societal expectations can be found in the definitions of words and how they are used.  Aimee Mullins does an incredible job emphasizing the importance of word definitions and how they are used in her Ted Talks about the demeaning impact of the word "disabled" to refer to an individual with special needs.  By reading the synonyms listed with this word, Mullins

OT 532 - Journal Article Review

This article explores the current literature related to the use of the Cognitive Orientation to daily Occupational Performance within a group setting involving children living with Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD).  Children diagnosed with DCD struggle with tasks requiring muscle coordination which in turn leads to decreased occupational performance.  While believed to be a childhood condition, the secondary impairments associated with DCD often endure into adulthood.  Thought to be linked to low self-esteem and motor skill competency, obesity and feelings of isolations often are found in conjunction with DCD.  In order to enable occupational performance within this population, practitioners are now pursuing group intervention strategies as a way to empower those with DCD.  After searching the literature, six articles were selected which met inclusion criteria.  Findings from this review showed the importance of group process for individuals diagnosed with DCD.  Group format